Head of Dispute Resolution Practice Group
T: +6 03 7887 2706
F: +6 03 7887 2703
Raymond’s primary area of practice is in civil and corporate litigation, appeals and arbitration. His experience includes a variety of construction and land related disputes.
Raymond chambered in Shook Lin & Bok under the guidance of Mr Steven Thiru and Dato’ Dr Cyrus Das.
Thereafter, he gained invaluable experience from working closely with Dato’ Mah Weng Kwai. Raymond took over the reins of leadership in the firm from his father when the latter left legal practice in 2010.
Career to date
2013 Managing Partner, MahWengKwai & Associates
2010 Principal, MahWengKwai & Associates
2008 Partner, MahWengKwai Seow & Megat
2005 Legal Assistant, Mah Weng Kwai & Associates
2005 Called to the Malaysian Bar
2004 Pupil-in-Chambers, Shook Lin & Bok
2003 Clerkship, Freehills (Australia)
2002 Clerkship, Allens Arthur Robinson (Australia)
- Prima Avenue Joint Management Committee
- Catholic Lawyers’ Society
- Law Association for Asia and the Pacific (LAWASIA)
- Volunteer with Mercy Malaysia
2018 Member of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CLArb)
2018 Diploma in International Arbitration
2017 Singapore Academy of Law – INSEAD Law Firm Leadership Program (SILLP)
2012 Certificate of Adjudication (Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration)
2004 Certificate of Legal Practice
2003 Bachelor of Laws (University of Queensland) (Honours Class 1)
2001 Bachelor of Economics (University of Queensland)
Particular arbitration and litigation experience
- Claim arising from unforeseen adverse physical conditions in the construction of a dam.
- Disputes arising from plumbing works for a residential development project.
- Disputes on design faults arising from the collapse of a basement car park.
- Disputes arising from the electrical and telecommunications works for a resort development project.
- Claim for outstanding progress claims for the construction of a residential development project.
- Working closely with experts and witnesses, including civil and geotechnical engineering consultants.
- Claim for release of performance bond for the construction of water supply pipes, Federal Court.
- Claim to challenge the validity of planning permission for a hypermarket, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from the supply and installation of furniture and fittings for a hotel, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes over the construction of a ‘feng shui’ arch in a cemetery, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes over the supply of aluminium panels for building cladding, Court of Appeal.
- Claim for removal of excess earth dumped on neighbouring land, Court of Appeal.
- Claim for vacant possession of land from squatters, High court.
- Disputes arising from the construction of a common boundary wall, High Court.
- Defending a claim for trespass arising from the construction of drainage from a mixed development project, High Court.
- Claim for damages for wrongful entry of private caveat, Federal Court.
- Removal of a third-party charge registered by a bank in excess of authority granted by a power of attorney, Court of Appeal.
- Claim for the return of an undivided shared of land sold by a trustee to a third party, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from land acquisitions, High Court.
- Claim by owners of an undivided share of land to divided and partition the land, High Court.
- Judicial review regarding the acquisition of land for use as a public road, Court of Appeal.
- Judicial review against the National Registration Departments’ decision to refuse citizenship to an adopted child, High Court.
- Judicial review against the minister’s refusal to grant an audit licence to a qualified accountant, High Court.
- Defending a claim for oppression by a minority shareholder of a multi-level marketing company distributing of an international brand of health products, High Court.
- Defending an international publisher from a defamation claim, Federal Court.
- Claim for defamation against a credit information provider, Court of Appeal.
Other civil matters
- Claim to safeguard monies paid on trust for minor beneficiaries, Court of Appeal.
- Partnership dispute between medical practitioners, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from the restructuring of a franchise restaurant, High Court.
- Defending charges against a director of a listed company for making false and misleading disclosures to the Securities Commission.
- Disputes arising from the design and construction of bored piles for a high rise apartment project, High Court.
- Perbadanan Nasional Berhad v. Shaharin Shaharudin  9 CLJ 208
- Dr Bernadine Malini Martin vMPHMagazine Sdn Bhd & Ors And Another Appeal  7 CLJ 525
- Abd Rahim Abd Rahman & Ors v. DMD Industries Sdn Bhd & Ors; Kamariyah Hamdan & Ors (Third Parties)  9 CLJ 724;  1 LNS 879
- Design Centre (M) Sdn Bhd v. Goldcourse Sdn Bhd  1 LNS 1660
- Konajaya Sdn Bhd v Perbadanan Urus Air Selangor Bhd  9 CLJ 640
- Edmund Ming Kwan v Extra Excel (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd & Ors  9 CLJ 373;  9 CLJ 400